Mastering Call Flow: The Ultimate 9-Step Telephone Strategy for Contact Centers
There is no doubt that the telephone is one of the best branding tools available. A telephone call gives you 3-5 minutes of your customer's undivided attention. When you get the interaction right, you can create a memorable experience, generate positive word-of-mouth advertising, and build customer loyalty, which results in increased profits. It usually takes a call strategy or call flow to get the interaction "right.".
When implementing a customer-focused culture in contact centers, we use this 9-point plan. This call strategy aims to create a warm, efficient experience with customers. This should be helpful as you work on creating a customer-focused culture.
1. Standard opening
- "Good morning" or "Good afternoon. Customer Care. This is Penny."
- "Good morning. Customer Care. This is Penny. How may I help you?"
2. Acknowledge concern when appropriate
- "I can understand how frustrating it is when your rental car breaks down."
- "I realize how complicated it is to... "
- "I cannot imagine how upsetting it is to... "
- "I know how confusing it must be when... "
3. Acknowledge a compliment when appropriate
- "Thank you. We love hearing from our satisfied customers."
- "Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us."
4. Maintain control (and put customers at ease) with assertive statements
- "We appreciate customers who let us know when things aren't right."
- "I can help you with that."
- "The first thing we need to do is... "
- "I can certainly get that information for you."
- "I would be happy to report that for you."
- "I can get that information for you."
- "I'm glad you called today."
5. Bridge to questioning
- "To determine what happened, I will need to ask you some questions."
- "Do you mind if I ask you some questions so we can figure out what has happened?"
- "So I can assist you, may I ask you a few questions?"
6. How to ask questions
Use please and thank you
Be friendly and conversational-don't have an "interrogation" style
- "May I have your zip code, please?"
- "Thanks. I have one final question."
7. Recap and provide the next steps
- "I will mail you a $50 gift card. You should receive this gift card in 7-10 business days."
- "I will research this and call you back at 918-398-9368."
8. Ask, "Is there anything else?"
- "Ms. Williams, may I help you with anything else?"
- "May I help you with anything else, Mr. Smith?"
- "Do you have any additional questions, Mrs. Jones?"
- "Is there anything else I can help you with today, Mr. Davis?"
- "Ms. Brown, how else may I help you today?"
9. Standard closing (include some form of thanks and company name)
- "Thank you for calling XYZ Company. Good-bye."
- "It was my pleasure to help you today, Ms. Golden! Have a fantastic afternoon!"
For more help with delivering the best customer experience in your contact center, check out my Customer Service Master Class!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.